Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Faith and Trust and Grace...

Three words… constantly repeated.
I’m told to have faith.
I’m told to trust.
I’m told He has insurmountable, uncontainable, ever-surpassing grace.

I thought I had it all…
I think I know what that means…

You think you know what it means until you hit a brick wall.

I’ve grossly misunderstood Grace.
I’ve had faithful faith… that keeps on as long as the sun is shining…
How about the season when the moon wanes?
I’ve had battles of trust… I’m in one now.
You know… the kind that you need the faith to muster the trust that
makes you say “… the God we serve is able to save… but even if He does not” Daniel 3: 16-18 (NIV)… I will still trust Him.
I’m obviously on threadbare grounds… I must trust even if He does not save. He is able… and even if He chooses not to, I must still trust. Even if I’m standing knee deep in the shark’s mouth… I must still trust. Most important is that I must still persevere… even if today doesn’t make sense, yesterday was a disaster and tomorrow is unsure… I must still trust…

Really? Trust? Faith? Grace? Perseverance?

I don’t think I can tell you how to have those… I’m still learning. Unfortunately, every time I feel that maybe, just maybe I’ve learnt it all, I discover that there is still much more to learn, much more room for trusting and growth. It is hard. And yet, through it all, all HE ever says is: “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10) (NIV). And then, there is that soothing resonance… reassurance…  
“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness…” 2 Corinthians 12 vs 9 (KJV). Grace soothes my heart… comforts me. His Grace. Trust is me believing that grace is there… believing that he provides that grace… believing that his grace is sufficient to carry me through… and taking leaps of faith; acting in ways that show that I trust…

As I wobble with all these five letter commonly used words that fall on my sometimes deaf ears, sometimes hardened heart that doesn’t understand… I pray to keep learning how to experience and carry them out daily.

Care to join me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment